The bell's sound brought a smile to the shopkeeper's face. He secured the needle in the fabric he was embroidering and stood up. It had been a fairly good year and he was surrounded with several projects in various stages of completion - a wedding dress for a lovely woman down the lane, an infant's holiday outfit for the family across town, and a cape for a young man that didn't give his reasons for wanting it. He smiled a bit wider, set down his work and pulled the curtain aside that separated his work room from the rest of his shop.
His smile disappeared in a flash. Lord Nicholas and two of his bodyguards were standing there, making the normally spacious floor seem crowded and claustrophobic. "M-my lord. Y-you honor me and my business." He bowed low and stayed there. "How may I serve you?" He slowly raised up but his eyes refused to. Lord Nicholas watched him and was silent for several moments. The man began to sweat and his breathing became rapid. Lord Nicholas smiled, enjoying the shopkeepers discomfort.
Lord Nicholas looked around the shop and his eyes sparkled. "Master Nadair," Lord Nicholas said in a friendly tone. "You have a beautiful shop and judging by its size, I'd say you are doing well for yourself. True?"
Nadair's head bobbed like a marionette's on a string. "Yes my lord. I have no complaints." His sweat now began to collect into drops on his face.
Lord Nicholas began to run his hand over the polished wood counter that stood between him and Nadair. "So you have no complaints about the annual tribute that I require from you?"
Nadair jerked his head from side to side, throwing the sweat from his face. "None my lord! The amount is very reasonable!" He bent down back into his low bow.
Lord Nicholas was silent again and walked around the counter to face Nadair. Nadair gasped and dropped to his knees, he forehead touching the floor.
"Nadair," Lord Nicholas said, dropping the respectful title. "You don't have a problem with me allowing you to own your own business? To do with it what you wish? And all I ask is an annual tribute. Is that too much to ask since I am your Lord and I rule this whole island?"
Nadair's voice was slightly muffled since he was talking to the floor. "No, my Lord! You are very generous to allow this humble shopkeeper to set up shop in your land and..."
Nicholas cut him off, "And yet, you are stealing from me." Nicholas' voice was calm and conversational. He watched Nadair closely.
Nadair quickly sat back on his heels, his eyes wide with fear as he looked up at Lord Nicholas. "No!" he whispered. "Never my Lord! I would rather die first!" His sweat was flowing freely now.
Lord Nicholas raised an eyebrow, "Die? Really? Hm, I may have to take you up on that offer. Because you have been stealing. You have taken something that was mine and have given it away." He looked down into Nadair's eyes, and motioned for his guards to grab him. They did and held Nadair against the wall. The man was ghostly white now and he began to shake his head, too scared to speak.
Nicholas moved close enough to be almost nose to nose to Nadair. "You have helped my daughter escape. She is MY daughter and MY slave. Therefore you have stolen from me and now you must pay."
No comments:
Post a Comment