Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lord Nicholas and Lios come to an understanding

Adora leaned against her father’s chair on the dais; her arms crossed, looking disgusted. Several village merchants had been coming up to him all morning and giving their reports as well as his cut. Each time a bag of coins was in his hand, he shook it gently, counting them just from the sound. Another day of this excitement. If I hadn’t yelled at him three months ago during my training, I would have never found myself here, constantly under his close watchful eye. With each merchant, Lord Nicholas sat back in his chair, watched them enter, bow to him, listened to their report and caught their money when it was tossed up to him. He never said a word.

Still another man swaggered into the great room. Lord Nicholas leaned forward slightly. Adora felt the tension and stood up straight. Here’s something new. The man performed as all the others, but there was no humility in his movements. There was a sneer on his lips when he stood and tossed the bag to her father. He shook it, and smiled. The man misunderstood his smile and grinned broadly back at him. “Lios,” Lord Nicholas asked, “how long have you been in Falconridge?” Strange question, Adora thought, Father knows all the merchants that move here.

“About six months, my Lord,” Lios answered.

Lord Nicholas nodded, “And your business has done well?”

The man nodded, grinning even wider, “Very well, my Lord.”

The fool, Adora thought, my father is setting his trap with your words!

“And these weekly reports and tributes I ask for, they are not too taxing on you?”

The man bowed slightly. “Not at all, my Lord.”

Lord Nicholas nodded, reached out his hand and his magic wrapped around Lios’ throat and slowly began to tighten. Lios froze and reached up to his neck, his eyes wide with surprise and fear.

Lord Nicholas stood up and motioned for Adora to follow him. They approached Lios and stopped just out of arms reach. “Then why, may I ask, have you been cheating me these last six months?”

Lios responded, “My Lord…” but Lord Nicholas tightened the noose more, leaving Lios silenced, while Lord Nicholas paced back and forth in front of him. “It was only a few silvers off at first. Then it became off by a gold or two and to your credit, you kept it there for about two months. But lately,” Lord Nicholas tightened the noose a bit more and lifted Lios off the floor. Lios was thrashing, trying to catch his breath, “you have been off by five gold coins. And now today you are off by ten.” Lord Nicholas stopped pacing and turned to face him once again. He loosened the noose a little and Lios began babbling. Lord Nicholas held up his hand, silencing him.

“Since you came to Falconridge, I’ve had several people watching you and your family. I’m told you have three daughters, the youngest already turning heads though she is only 13. And your wife is quite a hard worker.” The man’s eyes grew wider with each word and he silently pleaded with Lord Nicholas who coldly stared back at him. “As punishment for stealing from me, I will enslave your youngest daughter. Permanently.” Lord Nicholas released the noose and Lios dropped to the floor.

Lios scurried over to Lord Nicholas’ feet and tearfully bowed to the floor, “Not Melody, my Lord! Please no! Take me; take my business; I’ll give you half of all coin I bring in! Please!”

Lord Nicholas considered his offer, “Very well, for half of the coin you bring in, you can keep Melody. But you and your family will not leave these lands without first consulting me, nor are you allowed to let your business deteriorate.”

Lios began kissing the floor, “No my Lord! I will obey your every command. Thank you! Thank you!”

“Remember Lios, I will be watching you and your family.” Lord Nicholas waved his hand and a guard escorted and very shaken and humbled Lios out of the great room.

“You see, Adora, make people fear you and they respect you and are obedient.” He frowned at Adora, “Usually.” Adora bowed and followed him back to his seat.

“Father, you would’ve taken his daughter, wouldn’t you?”

Lord Nicholas chuckled, “Yes, and I still might. I do not know yet. It will all depend on how obsequious he is. But he will respect me and fear me,” he turned and looked pointedly at Adora, “unlike some I know.”

Adora met his gaze and forced a smile, “Yes, and I love you too.”

Nicholas grinned, “I’m glad we understand each other, my dear.”

Adora sighed, “He doesn’t know it yet, but you just took over his life.”

Lord Nicholas chuckled, “Yes. He is a slave in all but the markings. Is it not marvelous?”

Adora frowned and took her place as before, leaning against his throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment