The next two days were a blur, with someone waking her up, making her eat something then she fell back to sleep again. Finally after a week, Adora was able to stay awake for several hours at a time and sat up on her mat. The room was empty. The slaves had already left for their chores. She heard a key unlocking the only door to the slave’s quarters and she tried to stand up, but the room tilted sharply and she decided to stay seated. Lord Nicholas walked in and the guard outside the door closed it behind him. Adora tried once more to stand, but was forced onto her butt again. “Relax, Adora. I won’t be here long. Since a slave is not worth much if they are not in good health, you will stay here to heal until I say, then you will be sold.” He paused to let his words sink in, then frowned, apparently disappointed his words didn’t have an effect on her. “You will be sold as a common slave…”
Adora interrupted, “Now just a minute…” Adora was slammed against the wall and pinned there. She didn’t notice the stone in his hand when he came in. He placed his hand on her neck and squeezed just enough to get her attention. “You don’t deserve to be sold as a trained slave. You attacked me and now you can’t cast magic - not that you could cast very well to begin with.” He paused a moment, “The only thing you have going for you now is your ability to shift. Hmm, maybe I’ll sell you as a pet.” Adora jerked but her father squeezed his hand which stilled her again. “You will be sold at the international market so I won’t have to see you for some time.” He waved his hand and she fell to the floor, then struggled to get on her knees.
“Father, may I ask a question?”
He let the silence extended while he considered. Finally he answered, “Go ahead.”
“Thank you, Father. How long will you sell me for?”
“A year for starters, then we will see after that.” He started to turn away, then stopped. “Oh, and I’m sure I don’t have to tell you not to mention that I took your magic away?”
“No, Father.”
“Good. I’ll be back to check on you later this week.” He left. Adora sighed and sat down on her mat, looking at her hands. No magic. Well, I guess that’s not so bad. Like he said, I couldn’t cast worth a flip anyway. She still felt loss. How did I do that magical blast? Adora shook her head and fell back to sleep.
The key in the lock woke her a while later and Adora sat up while the slaves were coming back for the night. They were talking amongst themselves and so didn’t notice Adora right away, but when they did, word got around quickly and the talking stopped. The girls spread out and surrounded Adora while an older women, Hanna, walked up to Adora with a sneer. “Well, well. Look who’s finally awake. It’s the mighty Adora. What are you doing here? Did daddy feel you needed to spend time with us poor slaves? To see what it’s like?” Hanna had her balled fists on her hips as she looked down at Adora.
Adora slowly stood, only weaving a little when she was fully upright. She returned Hanna’s cold stare, “I’ve told you before, Hanna, I am as much a slave as you. And contrary to what you want to believe, my father Lord Nicholas, hates me.”
Hanna narrowed her eyes, “You are nothing like us,” she said. “You are highly trained and you get to come and go as you please. I’ve seen you when I am working and I’ve caught glimpses of you in the training room. Don’t tell me you are a slave. That’s a lie.” Hanna shoved Adora who lost her balance and fell. Adora launched herself at Hanna and punched her in the nose before getting dizzy and falling to her knees. Blood poured from Hanna’s nose and she backed up, screaming. Shit. {Father you’ll want to send a healer here. Quickly please.} Adora stood and walked over to Hanna saying, “Here. Let me help you.” Hanna shot her a hateful look and swatted her hands away. Adora shook her head and sat back down.
Just a moment later, the door unlocked and Lord Nicholas stormed in with a healer close behind him. “What happened?” He bellowed and looked at Adora. Adora was already on her knees and bowed her head. She guessed the healer just finished with Hanna, because the woman stopped crying and everyone fell silent. “Now then,” Lord Nicholas said again, “Adora, what happened?”
Adora stood and didn’t look at Hanna. “Hanna started a fight with me and…”
“That’s not true, master! She…” Hanna began, but Lord Nicholas shut her up with a look, then returned his attention to Adora. “I’ll remind you to not start fights with my slaves, Adora. You are only here a short time, so I suggest you make the most of it. Without your magic, you should fit in with them quite nicely,” he said. Adora clenched her jaw repeatedly and balled her fists when her father turned and left the room. The healer followed him out the door.
Hanna gave Adora a smug look then went to her own mat. Adora sighed and laid down, trying to ignore the girls talking together softly. Thankfully, she fell asleep pretty quickly. Sometime during the night Adora opened her eyes and, unable to fall back to sleep, listened. Her heart sank when she heard some of the slaves still talking. This late, there is only one thing they could still be talking about. Father would know if I tried to ignore them. He would know if I warned them. I have no choice. Her stomach knotted, but she listened and soon recognized the voices and sure enough they were talking of escape. Adora listened to their whole plan until they concluded and finally went to sleep. Adora closed her eyes and felt her tears falling on her pillow. Damn you father. I will see you in hell. She fell into a fitful sleep and woke up in the morning unrested.
Adora stood next to her mat with the other slaves when the door was again unlocked. Nicholas came in to inspect them and stopped in front of her. Looking her over he asked her, “I will expect a full days work from you if you leave this room with them. Understand?” She nodded, “Yes, father.” He nodded in return and told them all the rooms they would be responsible for, then he turned to leave. I have to tell him, but Hanna will know I listened last night. She will blame me. Adora bowed her head and clenched her hands. Father will do worse than take my magic away if I don’t tell him. Nicholas was 10 steps away from the door. Tell him. No. You have no choice. Tell him. Five steps. Adora opened to mouth but no words came out. Now his hand was on the door. “Father,” Adora said and he stopped but didn’t turn around.
“It’s about time,” he said. “It was almost too late, my dear.”
Adora stared at him. “Wait, so you already know?”
He turned and grinned at her surprise, “Of course, but why don’t you tell me anyway.”
“I don’t see why I should since you already know…” she began, then dropped screaming in pain. The pain stopped and she struggled to her feet. I really need to stop doing that.
“Why don’t you humor me, my dear.”
Adora couldn’t bring herself to condemn them, but when her father’s hand started twitching around his stone, she dropped her head and forced the words. “Hanna and some others were talking of escape last night.”
“You bitch!” Hanna yelled and launched herself at Adora. Adora easily avoided her, tripping her as she moved past. The woman jumped up again, but then Lord Nicholas said, “Stop!” Hanna and Adora froze.
“Adora, bring them all here in front of me.”
Adora gaped at her father. {Father, couldn’t I just tell you their names?}
“Now,” he answered.
Adora nodded, stood straighter and walked up to each girl involved, Hanna last, bringing them before her father. Some cried, others begged, but all of them wished Adora the fires of Hell with their eyes. Adora pushed down and buried her feelings, ignoring the girls as best as she could then moved back to her own mat. The 5 girls knelt in front of Lord Nicholas who smiled and turned to speak to the door guard quietly. The guard left and a moment later, Flagg entered the room and the 5 girls moaned. Nicholas chuckled, “I see you remember my slave trainer. Good. Then I’m sure you will understand when I tell you he hates to re-train slaves.” Lord Nicholas looked from one girl to the next and they slowly lowered their foreheads to the floor. The girls soft cries could be easily heard. Lord Nicholas continued, “And I refuse to have my reputation as a man who has extremely obedient slaves be ruined by 5 children grasping for what they cannot have. This is your last chance. You try this again, and I won’t punish you. I won’t sell you.” He paused until their crying lessened and he was sure they could hear him. “I will kill you. Now, get out of my sight.” A few guards approached and escorted the women out of the room, following Flagg. Then he dismissed the rest of us to our chores.
Adora stood to the side until the others had left and it was just the two of them. She knelt, “Father, may I ask a question?”
“About the Shifter?”
“Yes, Father. May I see her before I am sold?”
He again let the silence hang there, but Adora was used to his games so she waited. “No. You will not. I am training her myself and…” he stopped and chuckled at Adora’s sudden look of dismay.
“You’re training her, father?” Adora said and she found she couldn’t breathe.
Lord Nicholas affected an innocent look, “Is that a problem, my dear?”
Adora lowered her eyes again, “No father. It’s just that,” she paused, looking for the appropriate words. “I feel sorry for her.”
Lord Nicholas laughed, thoroughly pleased and walked out of the room. Adora followed after him and found the other slaves.
*******
No comments:
Post a Comment