Mille opened the door and let the air slam it against the wall. She stood in the doorway, the evening sun outlining her perfectly. The bartender growled, "You gonna pay for damages woman!" Mille stepped further inside the Flaming Phoenix and frowned. She didn't bother shutting the door. Now that she was out of the glaring outside light, the bartender cleared his throat, "Sorry Mille, I didn't mean any offense. I didn’t recognize you. You looking to compete in the arena?"
Mille shook her head, "You know I never do, Carl." She glared at each person as her eyes slowly traveled around the room. Finally she found whom she was looking for. Taking a few steps toward the person, Mille called to her from across the room. "You know why I'm here, Adora.” The room fell silent and all eyes turn to watch the newcomer. “Come with me quietly and we'll see you are treated to a fair trial."
Adora stared back at her from the table and took a sip of her blackberry cordial. "Well, well, well. If it isn't Mille herself. I am flattered.” There were low chuckles around the room. “You plan on taking me in all by your little lonesome, eh?" She sipped her drink again and placed it down. Mille just stood there, watching. "Why don't you sit down, Mille, and we can discuss this. I'm sure we can come to an amicable agreement."
"There is nothing to discuss, Adora. You are coming in with me now. You will not slip my grasp this time." She gripped the handle of her mace, but didn't draw it yet. Those closest to Mille scooted away from her.
Adora scowled, "I think you will not find it so easy, Mille. I will not be going with you, but I will be leaving here. You have spoiled my appetite. " Mille takes two steps closer to Adora.
"Stop!" Adora held up her hand. "Don't make me do this Mille. I admire your tenacity, but I suggest you turn and leave now."
Mille shook her head, "Not a chance, Adora. You have gotten away with too many murders and thefts for me to leave. I am bringing you in." She draws her mace. "Now."
Adora shrugged, "So be it." She tugs on her ear lobe and a man sitting at a table nearest to Mille suddenly stands and swings at Mille's head. She ducks, but that momentary distraction was enough. Adora hopped over the bar, through the kitchen and down into the cellars. There she went to a large cask, twisted the spigot and the entire front of the barrel opened to reveal a tunnel. Getting inside, she closed the door and re-set the lock. Reaching the end, she climbed the ladder and slowly opened the door in the fake tree stump. Not seeing anyone in the woods around her, she stepped out of the hiding place. Stupid woman. Her stubbornness will get her killed…or worse. A twig snapped and Adora froze. She scanned the woods around her, and strained her ears, but could not detect any other movement. Just has her hand touched the hilt of her sword, a net came sailing from the darkness and wrapped around Adora before her sword was half of the scabbard.
The net tightened around her, forcing her sword away. “Who the hell..??” Adora hollered. She struggled, knowing it was useless. Finally, she fell back on the ground. That’s when she saw several men coming out of the woods. They were dressed for living in the woods and most of them had some kind of injury - this one was wearing an eye patch, another had a scar, and all had a gleam in their eyes Adora did not like. “How dare you! Let me go now!” They kept approaching her and the net finally tightened enough to keep Adora from moving.
Eye-patch pointed to a couple of the other men, “Pick her up.” Then he turned and melted into the woods. Adora was silently hauled up and thrown over a muscular shoulder. Now what? {Father, I’ve got a problem.} Silence. {Father?!} Sill no answer. Well, it looks like I’m on my own. Adora forced herself to calm down so she could think clearly. She was powerless now anyway without being able to draw her sword or reach her Gem. They walked for a while and Adora was quickly disoriented without being able to see around her. Finally she heard more voices, like at a camp, then one man’s voice broke through. “Well, well. Our fishers are back. Let’s see what they have caught.” I was grabbed and thrown to the ground, knocking the air from me. “Damn it!” I said and struggled more.
The speaker got up and walked over to me and I glared at him from the ground. His eyes widened, “It can’t be.” He stared at me a little longer, “Well, gentlemen, it looks like we have a dangerous catch here.”
“Who is she?”
The man reached through the net and took my sword and my Gem. “This, men, is Adora. She works for Lord Nicholas,” There were several gasps around us and the men began to talk at once.
“We can’t keep her.”
“He’ll have us all as slaves.”
“Let’s kill her.”
“Let’s let her go.”
“Fool, she has already seen our faces.”
“No.” The leader said, “We will sell her, but not at the market. Too many would know her.” He nods, having come to a decision, “We’ll take her to The Slaver.”
My eyes widen, “No! Not the slaver!” {Father! Answer me!} Still no response. What they hell? Maybe they blocked my link? How?
The leader chuckled, “You know of The Slaver?” He pointed to others around them, “Put her in the wagon. There is no time to wait.” Two men got in the wagon with me and The Leader and another rode up front. The Leader snapped the horses and we were off.
“You will pay for this. Lord Nicholas will find out and will kill you all.”
The Leader chuckled, “I don’t think so, but The Slaver will certainly pay for you.” The other men also laughed.
I fell silent and remembered my first experience with The Slaver. I was a common slave (for punishment) when one day I was called out to Nicholas’ throne room. With my stomach in knots I stood before him. Another man approached me and looked me over thoroughly. Never taking his eyes from me, he asked Nicholas all about me - my skills, faults, and who else had owned me. Since I was fairly young, my faults were more numerous than my skills. The Slaver then grabbed my chin and looked into my eyes with a greedy smile, “Yes. I will get a good amount of coin for you.” There was something about him that made my skin crawl.
I came back to the present and looked around. I could only see the tall trees above me. We’re still in the woods. Where are we going? The sun had almost set when we stopped. The men climbed out of the wagon, dragging me with them. One hauled me on his shoulder again and another knocked at a door. Someone answered and I instantly recognized The Slaver’s voice. “Gentlemen. I see you have a new catch for me. Excellent. Bring her inside.”
“Wait until you see who it is. I have a feeling you know her.”
I was once again taken off the man’s shoulder but this time I was set on my feet with 2 men holding me up.
The Slaver’s jaw dropped, then he smiled, “I don’t believe it. Adora is it really you?”
I glared at him, “My father will make you pay unless you return me right now.”
The Slaver laughed, his foul breath in my face. “Oh yes, it is you. Gentlemen,” he said to the others but never taking his eyes from me, “be glad you used this net I gave you. If you hadn’t, or if you had released her from it, you would all be facing Lord Nicholas’ guards right now.” I gasped and he chuckled, “That’s right my lovely. This net keeps any psychic powers - magical or natural - from working.” He turned and spoke to the Leader and they discussed prices. My jaw dropped along with the others when I heard the amount. The Leader agreed, the coin was doled out and they left, leaving me sitting in a chair. He went into another room, but I could still hear him talking, “Since you can’t be useful in the net, I have also created a special collar that will perform the same as the net.” He came out of the room holding a plain metal collar with runes carved into it.
“No!” I again tried fighting the net. “Don’t do this! What about my poison?” I was getting frantic and I fell onto the floor with a thump.
The Slaver grabbed the net and lifted me to my feet. “Relax. When did you last take your antidote?”
“This morning.”
“Well, what are you worried about? We still have 2 days to figure out that solution.” He laid me down on a mattress and worked the collar around my neck, finally clicking it in place. Then he canceled the spell on the net and it loosened around me.
{Father? Please!} Silence. I quickly threw off the net and looked at him. “Well, now what?”
“Now,” he stood up and headed for another room, “we feed you and get you ready for your trip tomorrow.” Once he was out of eye sight, I bolted for the door, threw it open, and ran outside. I didn’t get 5 steps when I suddenly couldn’t breathe. I dropped to the ground and clawed at the collar. The slaver was standing in the doorway and called out, “Come back and you’ll be able to breathe.” Forcing myself to concentrate, I crawled as fast as I was able back to the house while I was still conscious. When I was close enough, the spell stopped and I lay there, breathing deeply. The Slaver knelt by me and showed me his hand. He wore a plain metal ring with runes etched in it. “You always have to learn things the hard way?” He sighed, “You get too far from this ring and that’ll happen. Now shall we go inside?”
I scowled but walked back inside the house. He sat me at the table and placed a large bowl of stew in front of me and some crusty rolls. I must admit, I was hungry and not seeing any other choice, I ate. Between mouthfuls, we talked. “Who are you selling me to?”
He smiled, “Someone very special. Yes, he will pay a great deal for you.”
*******
No comments:
Post a Comment